Because each professional coach has his or her own style of coaching you, I thought that you would be interested in knowing how I coach, what I expect of my clients, and what my you can expect of me.
I normally work by telephone. We have a session each week that lasts 30-45 minutes. You will be left with some fun and enlightening homework for the week which I will hold you accountable for in the next session. Accountability is often the key between a dream and a powerful new reality.
- I make my you feel good, show you that I care, and help you to believe in yourself (because I do!).
- I share what I’m sensing from you. I intuit, point stuff out, and tell the truth if it needs to be looked at.
- I ask the obvious questions. I want facts, feelings, and preferences, and I want you to know these as well.
- I step back; look for the whole picture, and what your situation is. In other words, you’ve gotten yourself where you are for some reason. I want to know that reason, because it provides the context I need to have a clear perspective.
- I talk about the state you want, the most perfect place for you to be, or the most ideal result you want. Most likely you have never had someone do this with you to this extent.
- I tell you what I think is going on. I provide words for what I see going on. I help you to label these things, so you can see the events, situation, or problem objectively.
- I ask you what you need or want from me right then. I want you to use me as you want to. I need to know your needs and my role.
- I present, and we discuss, several strategies or solutions—often unconventional. I like to offer simple advice, if it is asked for, that fits perfectly and is tailored to your personality, priorities, and resources. Sometimes my advice is counterintuitive, but it usually works. Please keep in mind, I seldom offer advice and only if asked. I prefer that we work together and you generate the solutions. They are far more effective that way.
- I sense and share the next evolutionary step for you. I listen for missing distinctions and for shifts that you are ready to make. I look for the next step of an Evolutionary Progression.
- I ask you to do more than you would do on your own. I like to stretch you when the timing is right.
- My questions help you design the life of your choice.
- I expect your best. You’re probably ready to do and be your best. And if you aren’t doing your best, I’ll ask you to. If you can’t do that at the moment, I’ll understand and do what you need to be heard, loved, and helped back onto your path.
- I make direct requests. From time to time, I’ll make a binding inquiry, like “Will you accomplish X by the end of the month?” You may say yes, say no, or offer another solution. I’ll make you right whichever way you respond. I may ask you things that are uncomfortable you to answer; let me know but I may still pursue it, perhaps differently.
- Honesty is one of my values—I am straight and expect the same from you. Regardless, use the best of what I say and use your own judgment.
- I give lots of homework. I usually ask that you come up with two or three goals, actions, or shifts to have between one call and the next. If it is too much, say so. If you want more, just ask.
- You are expected to use me, not depend on me.
- As your coach, I am a resource for you to use to your best advantage. I can share many principles that will increase your success and add to the quality of your life. I ask that my clients use me as this resource and the friend that I am, but not to let themselves get into the position of needing me (or coaching) as a dependency thing or a fix.
- I am here. I want to hear it all. If you have a personal problem, are disturbed with something (even me or the coaching), are just starting to realize something big, or can’t wait to share a shift or win, call or e-mail me.